Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Ten good reasons why I don't use the oven.

Hello hello hello. Continuing with my Ten Good Reasons Why....series. This one saves me money, which is a good enough reason for me to adopt this little foible, and make it part of my life. A lot of the things we do on a daily basis become habits. Some of them bad habits like eating the wrong crappy food, or good habits eating healthy food.  I like to think that this little habit puts me on the right road to saving money, and giving me a healthy diet, therefore I see it as a good habit.  
Ten good reasons why I do not use my oven.

1. I don't like cleaning it. Anything that cuts down on housework is a plus for me, I don't want to spend time and effort in cleaning my oven, so I don't use it.

2. I don't want to bake cakes, bread, or biscuits. Why? Because I am weak willed and would scoff the lot as soon as it came out of the oven. I regard these as treats, so it's better for me to not have piles of sweet stodgy food in the house, and to buy the occasional treat from a shop.

3. I don't want to roast meat, or make pies and pasties, or lasagna, or anything else that needs to be bubbling away in a pot in the oven.

4. An oven uses too much gas for one person's food, and adds to the cost of the meal. To use it efficiently it needs to be full, and I am never going to fill mine.

5. I don't need to use the oven. I have a four ring gas hob, a grill, and a microwave. I can make everything I want to eat on those appliances.

6. I don't want to cook my food to death, the least amount of time it is on the heat the better. I don't want to be opening the oven door several times to check if it is done, too much of a hit and miss affair for me. Over cooking ruins it and costs money. Under cooking and it needs to go back in for a bit longer. I have no patience when it comes to waiting for food to cook. I want to look in the pan on the top, prick the food with a fork, turn the veggie burger over under the grill, or watch my food through the microwave door.

7. I want quick to prepare meals, the kitchen is not my favourite place to be. I like eating simple food which is not mucked about. I have no recipe books, have no need for them. No cooking meals are even better., put things on a plate straight out of the fridge. Take the oven out of the equation and it frees up preparation time to do other things.

8. Most dishes which are baked, roasted or casseroled in the oven need some kind of oil, fat, lard, sugar, salt, or sauce added, all things I want to cut down on. I try to avoid those in my diet.

9. I don't prepare huge amounts of food in one go, I only cook for one person, me. I will make a pan of veg stew on the hob, using one gas ring, but this can be done quickly. Chuck everything in, stir, ten minutes and it's done. Test with a fork, remove from heat asap.

10. I don't want to spend time scrubbing food off baking trays, roasting pans, and burnt food stuck on casserole dishes. Waste of time and money. Heat some water, use pan scrubber and wash up liquid. I don't do that.

So there it is. Ten good reasons why I don't use the oven. Why don't you try not using your oven for a month? Use your imagination to think of other ways to cook food. Reduce your time in the kitchen and spend it doing something you like doing. Of course, if cooking is your hobby and you enjoy it, then carry on.

Thank you for popping in. We'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Ten good reasons why I don't use the oven.
4/ 5
Oleh