Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Getting excited

Hello. If I get a good feeling about a new project from the start, it usually turns out well. As we have had a lot of rain in the past couple of days, and it's raining now, I am getting on with this. I have to go with the flow while the brain is engaged. Early mornings are best for me, yesterday up at 4 am, today at 4.45 am. 
As I said yesterday I found the design in Stitch magazine, and got the needle felting kit out which had been languishing in the spare room for months. Time to get a grip. 
I have used a piece of net curtain for the backing, the wool sticks to it nicely. When all the felt is in place I shall be putting a thicker backing onto it before I begin stitching into it. 
The colours aren't exactly right on the photo, but you get the idea. I don't follow the instructions in the magazine article, I put my interpretation on the design and do it my way. I end up with something similar but not the same. This is more an exercise on technique, getting to know how to manipulate the wool by altering the angle at which the single needle enters the work. If you want a sharp edge to the shape push the edges towards the centre. If you want a more  softer edge so that it merges gently with the background, push the edges away from the centre towards the outside. All good fun.

Some of my newer readers might ask what's this got to do with money saving. Well, while my brain is engaged with something interesting to do, I don't feel the need to go shopping. People shop out of boredom, the buzz they get from treating themselves helps relieve boredom, for a while. I suggest anyone in this position who sees shopping as a feel good factor might find a hobby which keeps their brain occupied. Shopping is not my hobby.

Nearly 9 am and I have got to go out in the rain and walk Bailey the poodle for Joyce, she is busy this morning. Later I shall be visiting the mobile library to change my books and have a natter with Stan. The rest of the time I shall be working on this, it's a no spend day today.

Gawd, it's a raincoat and brolly day, I shall have to go. Enjoy your day, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Getting excited
4/ 5
Oleh