Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Llangollen steam, and Pontcysyllte Viaduct

Hello. Thank you all for your birthday wishes. I've had a brilliant day, except for one little mishap, I broke a tooth. Drat, a visit to the dentist when I get back. It was a back molar so I haven't got a toothy grin thank goodness.

The railway station is almost opposite the B & B and I noticed a steam train was in and had to have a look at it. I just love them. A real old fashioned station.

Look at this beauty. A lot of holiday makers were on board waiting to set off. I had already decided what I was going to do today, but I was sorely tempted to change my plans and jump on it.

They let me get in to see the engine, the heat coming off that fire was sweltering.

Two lovely volunteers who keep the trains running. These old trains and stations would lie rotting if it wasn't for these dedicated people who give their time so everyone can enjoy them.

Happy me on my birthday. Lots of train enthusiasts about snapping away, everyone was so friendly.
Getting stoked up and steaming, preparing to go.

Happy smiles from the driver and his mate.

The chuff sound chuff, the hissing of the steam, the toot of the whistle, it's just magic. This is the site for the Llangollen Railway.

After seeing the train off, I got on the Llangollen Canal and started walking. The sign said four and a half miles to Pontcysyllte. It's a lovely walk, The birds were singing, mummy ducks were watching over their babies and guiding them through the water, and the smell of the garlic plants was lovely. Lots of boats were up and down, everyone saying good morning, happy people on their holidays.  

Here I am at the start of the viaduct. It's a one way system so people have to wait their turn to cross. Boats followed each other, several at a time. 



Ha ha, Shawn the sheep at the entrance to the Visitor Centre. 
Here, I am half way across, looking down on the River Dee below.

There is a narrow footpath along one side of it. The boats are right up to the edge of a sheer drop on the other side.


More fantastic views.

Wow it's a long way down.

I walked over and back, then went down to a road to get some distance shots.

Now you can see how tall it is.

Here is a good web site for the Aqueduct.  And this one.

Time to move on, time to head back by a different route. I picked up the sign for Offa's Dyke Path, it looked interesting. Through a wood.


And out onto the hills, they call it the Panorama Walk. Fantastic views. That's Llangollen down there. Time to linger and sit for a while and eat my sandwich.


Off the path and onto a road where the sheep roam free.


I had it in mind to go up there, but watched two walkers slowly crawl towards the top. It looked a bit steep and I hadn't got time, so I took the easy route and bimbled around the bottom of it.

I picked up the road again and came back down to the canal. This is Llangollen Junction.

Once back in the town I called in the Co op for some food to have a picnic in my room. Yes, I have cake, I found an iced lemon cake, reduced from £1.25 to 44p. I've checked the total walked and it's 12 miles. I'm pleased with that, it was a brilliant day.

I'm moving on tomorrow to find something else to look at. Thanks for popping in. We'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Llangollen steam, and Pontcysyllte Viaduct
4/ 5
Oleh