Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Art is not always what it seems

Hello. What would you think if you entered an art gallery and saw a pile of rubble in the main entrance hall? When I saw it yesterday at the Ferens Gallery, I thought, oh, nice, looks a bit arty, anyone who lived near a beach could do that. I then had a wander round and browsed at the other exhibitions, and on my way out I stopped to have a chat about what I had seen, with one of the volunteers working there. 
Dave then asked me what I thought about this. I quickly discovered that the pile of beach rubble was not all it seemed, so I took a closer look. My eyes did indeed deceive me the first time'
Of course, you are not meant to rush around an art gallery at breakneck speed, but sadly, if something does not grab my attention quite quickly I tend not to give it a second glance. And so of course I can miss out on  hidden meanings and messages.
So, what do you think? A pile of rubble or what? Scroll through the pictures and all will be revealed.   






That taught me, didn't it? Do not take anything at face value. I don't normally, but without any obvious clues in the artwork itself, I almost missed the point. Dang! Must take care to look deeper, and not dismiss something as being of no value.

I usually decide on which pieces of art I like best by what I see in front of me, but now I know the story behind it I find myself being drawn to the pile. There is beauty in it. My eyes want to search through it and discover the smaller hidden gems among the mighty boulders. I want to go beach combing. It will take me a long time to learn all these arty ways, but I'll get there eventually.

Thanks for popping in. Are you ready for Easter? I don't go anywhere on bank holidays, like the quietness of my own home. Another arty conundrum tomorrow.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Art is not always what it seems
4/ 5
Oleh