Thursday, March 9, 2017

Shiptonthorpe to the Humber Bridge and finish line.

Hello, what a sunny morning, makes me want to get out there and walk, ha ha. Well possibly not today, I'll give my feet a rest. So, what happened on the last day. I had breakfast in the conservatory of the main house, after being picked up from the second house which is in the process of renovation. All the rooms are decorated to a high standard, but the kitchen facilities are not up and running just yet. The two properties are half a mile apart. 
The front entrance of the main house. There are seven rooms here and five more in the second house. It has a lovely homely feel to it and guests are made to feel very welcome. Robeanne Guest House web site is here, check it out if you are looking for accommodation between Hull and York.

On my way, last push for home. Big sigh of relief to see this sign, not far now.

 The A1079 bypasses Market Weighton but I walked through it on the shorter route. This is the statue of William Bradley, the tallest recorded British man that ever lived, at 7 feet 9 inches.

North Cliffe and South Cliffe are two tiny hamlets on a long straight road. They share this very big church. 
Between North and South Cave is the Wolds Prison.

My feet were beginning to get quite sore again, but on I went through the village, trying to ignore the pain.

The route then took me through Brantingham, Elloughton, Welton, Melton, and North Ferriby. Ladies getting stuck in to plant up the flower beds. I had to stop at Welton to take my boots and socks off and give my feet an airing. I was sorely tempted to dip them in the village duck pond but thought better of it, there might be nasties in there. You would think that taking a break would ease the pain, but it doesn't, it's just as bad when you get going again. Best to keep moving but slow up on the speed.

This is the pub at North Ferriby where Jo Brand stopped for a break on her One Hell of a Walk, just over a year ago. I was invited inside to join the crew for refreshments. How time flies. 
And finally, at the Humber Bridge just after five pm, waiting for a bus. I can't walk another step. The bus doesn't go through my village so Janet was there to pick me up a mile from home.

The day has begun with a soak, oooh, lovely. Only two blisters on my small toes where they got a bit squashed. It's amazing how soon my feet recover.

Someone asked what makes your feet sore. A combination really. Ill fitting boots, mine are a good fit, tight fitting and ankle support. Wrong socks, best try different socks, always two pairs thin and thick ones, change socks on a long journey. Depends on the type of surface you are walking on. Flat tarmac is comfortable for a while but as the soles of your feet become more sensitive you begin to feel small stones, and even the ribbing in your socks becomes painful.. Walking on flat mown grass is best, but there's not much of that around in the countryside. Rough grass with clumps means you never know what you are stepping onto. An uneven surface means your feet twist over to one side constantly and every step is agony if your feet are sore. Same with loose stones and small rocks, careful where you put your feet or it will hurt. Some people use walking poles to assist with balance, but I don't.

Well this walk has given me a boost towards 1000 miles, I don't need to walk at all for the rest of March. But of course I will. A couple of days off and I will be back doing my three mile route around the village. Walking is in my routine, I cannot imagine not walking. Hope your walking is going well, don't forget to check in on the first post of every month with your miles.

My accommodation was rather costly this time. In the past I have been worried about paying more that £40 for a room, but I decided I would make it easier for myself and say stuff it, I will stay wherever I like. There was one hotel I walked out of and walked a bit further to find cheaper. To have a high price for the room and then say breakfast is another ten pounds, was a bit of a cheek I thought. Yes the Radisson was the most expensive, but it was exceptionally gorgeous. It's a pity I couldn't take advantages of the facilities, there was no way I could do an hour in the gym, ha ha.

Booking in advance would get the cost down, but I can't do that on a long walk, it would be too much like walking to a timetable, something I like to avoid. The open countryside, go where I please is the attraction for me.

It's all done and dusted now. Maybe not another long walk for a while, maybe a car holiday, camping, bus pass holiday, who knows. I shall go where the fancy takes me. One last thank you to my house/cat sitter Janet, her kindness makes it possible for me to do this. I know I don't have to worry when she is in charge.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Shiptonthorpe to the Humber Bridge and finish line.
4/ 5
Oleh