Friday, February 10, 2017

Still baffled.

Hello. I don't think I will ever understand how a piece of art is valued. I was in The Ropewalk Gallery yesterday at Barton, the exhibition was by artist Gillian Ross Kelsey. I like the colours and the geometrical shapes, but what is it that makes the pictures so expensive? This is one of life's biggest mysteries for me, I can't get my head round it. 
Maybe it's because I am a bit of a skinflint, maybe I don't see art as a must have, maybe I am not passionate enough about it. Who knows. 
I tend to look at art in a simplistic way, I either like it or don't like it, or maybe it's just ok, or maybe I get really excited by something absolutely amazing. There are lots of maybe's in art. What I don't understand is what is going on in the artists brain as they create their masterpieces. Yes, I read the blurb alongside the picture, either on the wall or in the catalogue, or on their web site, but I am non the wiser as it is all waffle to me. When does any artist say I made this picture because I like it? Or I was excited? 
I am in no way criticizing Gillian's work, I just wondered how the price is set. If you want to buy any, go to her web site. 
Twelve small canvases at £100 each, £1000 for the set of 12. 

The edges have been deliberately left drippy to show the layers of paint.

Larger picture, £850.


Prints are cheaper.
This picture has been sold, it's only a few inches square.

Reading up about the artist, she has years of experience, lots of qualifications, has studied art at all levels, and is well respected. Maybe it's the name that people buy into, and as art is so subjective, maybe anything would sell as art. It's all a bit bonkers to me.

I went on to the Ferens Gallery yesterday in Hull. They have an open exhibition over three galleries, a wide range of a couple of hundred or more artworks by local and amateur artists. I must say that the standards were very high, some fabulous works there. If money was no object I could have picked out a dozen or more for myself. The exhibition is on until the 12th of March, definitely worth a look if you are in Hull.

I'll be back tomorrow with some pictures of The Blade, but for now, I want to get on with my own art. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Still baffled.
4/ 5
Oleh