Tuesday, July 12, 2016

It happens automatically.

Hello. Whenever I am asked to do an interview, the question that pops up most often is, 'What are your best money saving tips?' I am finding it harder and harder to answer that. It's not that I have given up on saving money, it's because my tips are so embedded into my life that I consider everything I do to be normal, and I don't need to constantly think about it.

Saving money has become a habit that I do automatically without thinking. People want the shock horror, oh my God, you don't do that do you, kind of tips. Like, why is wearing boys pants seen as weird when they last a lot longer than women's knickers? I think that's normal because it makes sense to me. I don't need to buy replacement underwear for years, pants can be washed thousands of times before they need to be chucked.

Why is it strange to dilute wash up liquid, shampoo, and orange juice to make it last longer? Water is very very cheap, I can double the volume of liquids for a penny or two, making them last much longer. Seems daft not to do it.

What's wrong with having a bath once a week and washing in the sink at other times? We did this when we were kids, and look, I am clean, I am still alive, and it didn't kill me. Using the bath water to flush the toilet and other cleaning jobs saves me money. It's normal to me to reuse bath water, not such a big deal when I am used to it.

Isn't it normal to cut up old sheets and towels to make dishcloths, floor cloths, dusters and cleaning cloths? I haven't bought these items from a shop in years, no need to I reuse what I already have.

It is normal for me to take food with me from home if I am away from the house for a few hours. I make a sandwich, I reuse a plastic bottle and take a juice drink with me. Yes, it saves me money, but better still, I know what I am eating. Why would I want to buy a coffee out when I have just had one at home before I left. I can't understand this walking about with a cardboard cup of coffee. Taking pack ups is what I do, I don't have to think about it.

It takes no effort at all for me to walk in a shop, can't find what I want at the right price, and walk out again. I am not tempted by the in your face chocolate and sweeties at the till, I have cast iron will power. That's normal for me, it's no big deal.

If I need clothes or shoes I will look for them in a charity shop or a car boot sale. Over the course of a year this saves me a lot of money. Why would I go to a shop and pay full price if I can get it cheaper second hand. This is my normal way of shopping.

Cooking a meal in one pan, isn't that the best way to cook? Cuts down on washing up, saves money on the gas, and less faffing around in the kitchen. This simple approach to cooking is normal for me, I do it without thinking.

All my money saving tips are how I live my life, I don't have to think about them, I do things automatically. Sometimes they might only save a few pennies here and there but they all mount up and it means more money stays in my purse and in my bank account, without me even making a conscious effort to save. I am constantly amazed how my emergency fund builds up all by itself. Every month I get a surprise when the statement comes and it looks good, and I haven't had to make any sacrifices, not gone short on anything, not worried about any bills that are due, and all because my money saving happens automatically without me giving it a second thought.

Thanks for popping in. we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

It happens automatically.
4/ 5
Oleh