Monday, May 22, 2017

Two bridges at Menai

Hello. Onward I went, from Caernarfon to the Menai Bridge and over to Anglesey. Once over the water I parked in a layby on the A5 half way between the two bridges. This is the Suspension Bridge. 
And this is the Britannia Bridge.

It was free parking in the layby so I abandoned the car and went for a walk. I followed the coastal footpath which was very well signposted. This is Church Island, it juts out into the water, and has a very ancient small church on it surrounded by gravestones on the steep slopes.

It was very peaceful, hardly anyone there. It has a tarmac path where you can walk across to it.



The little church is very simple and basic, nothing elaborate.

The monument at the top.


There is a massive old tree at the entrance to it, with this plaque attached to the wall below it.


Leaving the island the path goes underneath the Suspension Bridge.


I went up on top and walked across it and back again.

This is the view looking down on Menai town.

I walked further along the coastal footpath and took another route back to the car. I was on my way to Holyhead and decided to take the long route round because I had plenty of time.

Beaumaris looked like a nice place so I parked up and had a look around. It was a beautiful sunny day, very enjoyable to walk along the promenade, have a look at the castle, and watch the world go by.



 I followed the A5025 around the whole island and came to Holyhead. I came across a Travel Lodge and went in to ask for a room. Unfortunately they were full, but the nice lady at reception rang up another hotel to ask for me. They had a room so she gave me directions to find it. I was dead chuffed when I saw it, right opposite the Marina, and just where I wanted to be to begin a walk the next day. Couldn't be better. Great view.

Nice hotel, but this is where the Wifi connection was hit and miss, so I had to give up and watch telly instead. I'll show you where I walked, tomorrow.

Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Two bridges at Menai
4/ 5
Oleh