Monday, May 15, 2017

Amazing Anderton Boat Lift

Hello. I'm having a little bimble. My first port of call is the Anderton Boat lift at Northwich, it has been on my 'to do' list for ages. It's an amazing piece of engineering which moves narrow boats from the low level of the River Weaver to the high level of the Trent and Mersey Canal. there are two lifts side by side, so when one is going up the other is coming down. I paid the £7 to ride on a boat and go up on the lift. The pilot gave a very informative talk. It was a slow process, steering the boat into the lift, waiting for the lock doors to open and close. It was similar to going into a normal lock.  





For more information on the Boat Lift check out this site.

Luckily the rain held off long enough for me to walk around the site. The Anderton Marina was full of boats. This part is for permanent residents. 
That's one place ticked off, tomorrow I am going to see the Pontcysllte Aqueduct. My B & B for two nights is in Llangollen. I had a walk around the town and bought some food for my picnic in the room. The River Dee runs through the town. Beautiful scenery.

The weather hasn't been too good today, where has the sun gone? Tomorrow I plan to walk the four miles along the canal to the Aqueduct, and back again. Janet, if you are reading this, the mobile phone signal is very poor here.

I'm a bit  tired so I'll sign off now. Thanks for popping in, we'll catch up soon.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Amazing Anderton Boat Lift
4/ 5
Oleh