Sunday, May 7, 2017

A walk from Hunmanby to Filey

Hello. Again I am going to split a one day walk into two posts. Easier for me and not so laborious for you to scroll through masses of photo's. Sometimes my posts go on for too long. I don't know about you but I tend to scan blogs to pick out the bits that interest me. 
So, the view from my window at the start of day two. 
Here is a little Good Morning video I made before I left the camp site.



The morning was fresh and sunny, and a bit chilly. I drove a couple of miles north to Hunmanby, on the outskirts of Filey. There is a nice little square opposite the church which is convenient for free parking. From what I saw it's a lovely village, and a lady dog walker confirmed it is a lovely place to live. I set off along the Centenary Way, which is an 83 mile long walk from York to Filey. The tarmac road narrows down to a farm track, then goes through some fields. These cows and calves were curious and edged their way forward to have a closer look at me. The bull is taking it all in his stride, not really interested.

Crossing over the A165 as I was coming into Filey I took a right turn, past Muston Grange and over a railway line,  towards the sea. Down the steps to the promenade. As I look along the coastline I can see the cliff around the other side of the bay, where I will be walking next.

Not many holiday makers about yet, a few dog walkers. It's quite a short promenade, with a few seaside attractions, it doesn't seem overly commercialized.. I didn't venture into the town.

Love this cute model changing hut. It was rolled down to the waters edge with the bather inside, to give some privacy when entering and leaving the sea. What a good idea, saves getting all that nasty sand in your knickers, ha ha. I have never liked going in the sea for that reason. I have always hated sitting on a beach.

The gift shop worker getting ready for the days trading. Laying his wares out on the forecourt of the shop.

This sculpture has also been shown in Whitby and Scarborough. High Tide in Short Wellies is the creation of Ray Lonsdale. The iron fisherman is about 10 feet tall.


I sat for a few minutes and ate a boiled egg. No one for Crazy Golf yet, the girl waits patiently in the paybox for punters to turn up. Don't think she will be doing much business today.

A look back as I continue my walk. Leaving Filey.

Looking ahead to the next bit, around the top of the cliff. I can see dots in the distance, there are others walking that way.

Bye bye Filey. Still windy.

And here we are at the end of the cliff top walk. It's as far as I can go, Filey Brigg End down there in the sea. If the tide was out I could take a track down onto the rocks, but it isn't. There are signs at the Lifeboat Station saying not to attempt it until two hours after high tide. It's a very steep drop down there. 

Flippin heck, it's windy and cold. Lovely view.

Right, that's it for this post. It's a longer walk than yesterday so I'll break off here and come back tomorrow to finish the story. Thanks for popping in, see you soon. Have a nice Sunday.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

A walk from Hunmanby to Filey
4/ 5
Oleh