Friday, February 24, 2017

Discovering Thixendale and Wharram Percy

Hello. I've had a belting day out with my walking buddies, Paul and Paul. Storm Doris has gone and we enjoyed a mostly sunny day with hardly any wind. Paul organized the route and the other Paul did the driving. We went over the Humber Bridge into Yorkshire, and parked at a village called Birdsall, not far from Pocklington. The Yorkshire Wolds have lovely walks, up hill and down dale, gentle undulating hills. We set off along The Centenary Way. 
It wasn't long before we arrived at the tiny hamlet of Thixendale, which boast the title of the most remote village in the Yorkshire Dales. It lies in a deep valley and is only one street long.

Thatched cottage.

Ooh, look a village shop, the two Paul's had to wait while I went inside to have a look.

It's in the conservatory at the rear of someone's house. A lady came out to serve me and I bought us all a flapjack each. 

This is the Village Hall, they serve coffee and cakes on Sundays.

Typical of the houses in this area.

Out of Thixendale we followed the Centenary Way, through DeepDale to Wharram Percy. 
Here are the remains of a deserted medieval village. View of the church as we approach it.

There is a fishing pond down below.


Time for lunch, lucky to find a bench to sit on in the sun. 
A little exploration around the church.




As you can see from the information board it was quite a large settlement. Just the foundations are left now.

We followed what looked to be an old railway line, there were ruins of old buildings hidden in the undergrowth.

Where shall we go next, I don't know you've got the map. 
We were on our way back to Birdsall when I spotted a couple of big hairy cows with horns in a field. 
Birdsall Church stands high on a hill, the picture isn't so good because the sun was right behind it.

Snowdrops everywhere, so pretty.

It was a smashing walk. We did twelve miles, so that's given my February numbers a boost. I'm aiming for the 100 again hopefully.

If you want to know more about Thixendale and Wharram Percy, the Happy Hiker has done a post on his web site about his walk in the area, with pictures similar to mine.

We're at the weekend again, I hope it's a good one for you. I shall be pottering and thinking about my walking trip. Checking maps, and gathering bits and bobs for my rucksack, trying to keep the weight as low as I can.

Thanks for popping in, and thanks for your great comments. I see there are a lot of new readers and first time comments, welcome to you all.
Toodle pip

Related Posts

Discovering Thixendale and Wharram Percy
4/ 5
Oleh